This history of Chalk & Gibbs Insurance and Real Estate dates back to the mid-1920s in the relaxed, coastal town of Morehead City. After H. S. Gibbs purchased a typewriter and opened the doors to his Equitable Life Assurance Company Agency, Mr. Chalk joined soon after, and the two created perhaps one of the oldest partnerships in Carteret County.
After twenty years of successfully aiding Carteret County with insurance and real estate needs, the company’s business expanded after their sons joined the firm after serving in the Armed Services during World War II. With these new additions, Chalk & Gibbs decided it was time to move to a bigger location. They erected a building at 1006 Arendell Street, where the agency still resides today.
While neither Mr. Chalk or Mr. Gibbs were natives of Carteret County, they each took interest in helping the county grow. Both businessmen served as mayors of Morehead City and presidents of the Morehead City Rotary Club. While they successfully served Carteret County’s insurance and real estate needs, they worked to help the country thrive.
Since then, four generations have followed in their ancestors’ footsteps, working closely to serve Carteret County. Chalk & Gibbs has found that working closely with those around you is the primary ingredient in the company’s success.