Although it's officially fall, we're not feeling those cooler temperatures quite yet here on the Crystal Coast. We know that sweater weather is coming soon, so we've put together a quick list of some tasks and things you can do around your home to prepare for fall and cooler weather!
Put away those summer décor items. Swap out bright color throw pillows and accents for more autumn-colored items.
- Have your HVAC serviced. Schedule a maintenance appointment to have your HVAC checked out before it’s time to switch the air conditioning to heat. While you’re at it, take time to change all of those air filters.
- Clean your chimney. We’re all excited to spend nights around our fireplaces cuddled with blankets and warm mugs of hot chocolate. Make sure your chimney is in good shape and ready for all of the fall and winter fires! If you have a wood-burning fireplace, go ahead and stock up on fire wood.
- Check for windows or doors that don’t properly seal. Install weather stripping if necessary. When your windows and doors aren’t properly sealing, the cold air comes into your home, causing your HVAC to work harder to heat your home.
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fans. Changing the rotation from counterclockwise to clockwise will push the warm air down from the top of the room instead of generating a cool breeze.
- Clean your home’s linens. We’re talking about those linens that you often forget about washing. Comforters, quilts, decorative bath towels, throw blankets, pillow shams, curtains, etc.
- Break out those heavier blankets. Swap your bed’s quilt out for you down comforter or duvet. Put blankets in easily accessible closets or other spaces.
Taking time throughout the year to check off things that need to be done around the house will prevent them from piling up and creating an even longer to-do list at the end of the year - the changing of seasons is a great time to do this! For many homeowners, taking pride in their home means keeping up with proper maintenance and doing things that prevent damage or issues from occurring.
Here at Chalk and Gibbs, we're so excited for all things pumpkin, cooler weather, enjoying our town with not quite as many crowds and of course trick or treating with family. What are you most looking forward to this fall on the Crystal Coast?